Dunmore Abbey, Dunmore, Co. Galway
Dunmore Abbey is listed in the Record of National Monuments and Places (RMP) No: 273 and the Archaeological Survey of Ireland (ASI) gives the following description:
“This Augustinian friary, a National Monument, is first mentioned in 1425 and it is reputed to have been founded in that year by Walter de Bermingham (Gwynn and Hadcock 1970, 299).
Of the monastery, only the much-modified church survives.
Rectangular in plan, it comprises the nave and chancel with traces of a South aisle; only a short section of the West wall of the latter survives. The division between the nave and chancel is marked by a centrally placed tower that was inserted in the 16th century. There is a fine 15th-century doorway in the West gable, in the South
jamb of which is a holy water stoup. The doorway is decorated with three shallow orders which have fluted chamfers and moulded capitals. The side pinnacles and that at the centre of the ogee-form hood are tall and slender and terminate in carved
poppy-heads (Leask 1960b, 76).Above the doorway there is the recess for a memorial tablet to the de Berminghams and a single light pointed arch window.
On the South side of the nave three large arches that formerly accessed the South aisle were blocked up. Windows subsequently inserted into the central and eastern-most
arches were also blocked up.
A beautiful carved female head with an elaborate
head dress was reused as quoin stone in the eastern window. The tower, of three storeys, springs from a pointed chancel arch flanked by the corbels which supported the rood screen. Some of the original plaster and wicker-centring survives on the underside of its vault and a small carved head is visible on its SE pier. The chancel was in use as a Protestant church from the 18th to the early 20th centuries (Neary
1914, 96, 100-1, also 103-4). The three blocked round-headed window embrasures in the North and South walls all date from this period, though they probably occupy the sites of the originals.
The East window is also blocked up. A cross-slab (Higgins
1987, 361, no. 83) and two medieval graveslabs are associated”
CHH were engaged to carry out a Structural Condition Surveys of the building and tasked with determining a course of remedial works to stabilise and conserve the existing central tower structure and the overall building structure.